PAM problems

Simon Hyde shyde at poboxes.com
Wed Mar 25 20:19:33 GMT 1998

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998 06:34:41 +1100, you wrote:

>Hello, I'm new to this list.  I'm experimenting w/ the latest NTDOM version
>of samba.  I am having problems getting samba to authenticate through any
>method other than the smbpasswd file (whether or not I have PDC support in
>the conf file or not).  I am running debian linux w/ PAM installed, I have
>created the 'samba' file in my /etc/pam.d directory as per the redhat
>specifications.  Still, using smbclient I am unable to obatin a connection.

Samba will not use anything but smbpasswd if you've got 'encrypted
passwords = yes' in yout smb.conf. This is because there is no way to get
MS Encrypted passwords <-> Unix crypted passwords (in either direction)

>	I am also having trouble getting security = server to work with our local NT
>server.  The log file says it keeps rejecting the password.  Do I need to
>modify the server's registry to use plaintext passwords?

Nope, but you will want to follow up the following from the release notes
of Samba 1.9.18p3:

In the [global] section of smb.conf :

networkstation user login

This code (submitted by Rob Nielsen) allows the code many people
were having problems with that queries an NT password server to
be turned off at runtime rather than compile time. Please see the
documentation in the smb.conf manual page for details. This is a
security option - it must only be turned off after checks have been
made to ensure that your NT password server does not suffer from the
bug this code was meant to protect against !