2 servers and routers between them..

Nuno Loureiro nuno at lwp.ualg.pt
Tue Mar 10 14:57:39 GMT 1998

luke said:

>hi nuno,
>
>there are a couple of ways to do this (one in the future, with
>inter-domain trust relationships worked out).

will it be in the near future? <grin>

>which leaves this as an ordinary administration exercise to get round the
>lack of thingy. domain trust relationships.
>
>ok, your network is subdivided, yes? you can either use a %substitution
>macro which subdivides by netgroup (@lab1_pcs or @lab2_pcs) or by network
>address.
>
>then, you can do [global] include = /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.%X where
>%X is the macro substitution for the netgroup or the network address.
>
>then, you create /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.lab1 or .lab2 or
>.194.159.24. or .194.159.25. - whatever.
>
>smb.conf.lab1 contains:
>
>home dir = \\linux1\homes
>logon path = \\linux1\profiles\%U
>
>etc... you get the idea.

>From what I've understood, you say to use one PDC for the 2 labs (linux1) and 2
smb.conf (1 per each lab), and use the same smbpasswd, right?
If it works, fine for me :)
My doubt is : will lab2 see the PDC (linux1) knowing there are at least 3 or 4
routers between them?? I have no control on those routers, so I dunno how they
are configurated..
I know NT4 can use Netbeui encapsulated on tcp/ip, but I'm not sure if it will
see the domain... will it?

-----
Nuno Andre Henriques Loureiro
http://lwp.ualg.pt/~nuno
PGP FingerPrint: 85 B2 B7 DA 28 C0 D9 BC  E8 4D DC 23 8E 2B 72 B4
Finger nuno at lwp.ualg.pt for more info