R: NTDOM and sharing in Win95

Giampaolo Tomassoni tomassoni at crisato.oftalm.unisi.it
Sat Mar 7 12:58:30 GMT 1998

On Sat, 7 Mar 1998, Gerald W. Carter wrote:

>      Windows 95 clients will allow "user level" security
>      to be set but will not currently allow browsing of accounts.
> [snip]
>

> Things tend to change very quickly though.

Hi Gerald,

it is a matter of facts that NT domains are often a compound of NT and 95 workstations, so I believe that a more complete implementation of the user level security for Win95 in samba boxes would be really appreciate by most. Not even to mention that many installations miss a BackOffice server at all, so that they need a Win95 machine to send and receive faxes...

After all, NTDOMAIN code actually support a user list (smbpasswd) and maybe groups (domain groups setting?). Now, is it so complex to reply to domain users enumeration requests issued by Win95?

I would like to contribute to the NTDOMAIN efforts, so I'm tempted to say "I'll do that!". Nevertheless, I don't have a so deep knowledge about SMB/RPC or even Samba structure, and I feel I have to drop this challenge: the deadline is probably too close.

Do you think it is so complex? How can I get documented about this matter?

Take care,

Giampaolo Tomassoni Information Systems Consultant
P.za 8 Aprile 1948, 4 Tel/Fax: +39 (578) 21100
I-53044 Chiusi (SI)  e-mail: tomassoni at crisato.oftalm.unisi.it
ITALY
homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Park/2209/