NTDOM and sharing in Win95

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Sat Mar 7 03:07:40 GMT 1998

On Sat, 7 Mar 1998, Giampaolo Tomassoni wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I tried to share a resource on a Win95 box under a samba-controlled NT
> domain. Well, I couldn't complete the task since SAMBA was not sending any
> list of domain users, so I couldn't select which user had which access mode.
>
> Is it supposed to be implemented in NTDOM?

from http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/cartegw/samba_ntdom_faq.html

0. How do I know if I need Samba Primary Domain Controller (PDC) support
and how much of its functionality is currently implemented?

The ability to act as a PDC for Windows NT 3.51 and 4.0 clients.  This
includes adding NT machines to the domain and

     authenticating users logging into the domain.

     Domain account can be viewed using the "User
     Manager for Domains" for a small number ( ~4-8) of accounts.

     Viewing resources on the Samba PDC via the "Server
     Manager for Domains" from the NT client.

     Windows 95 clients will allow "user level" security
     to be set but will not currently allow browsing of accounts.
[snip]

Things tend to change very quickly though.

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )