new option to smbpasswd

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Fri Mar 6 08:51:06 GMT 1998

Damn! Does this mean I have to toss my Expect scripts? <grin>

It would also be nice, in the longer run, to teach PERL how to generate
these encrypted passwords, kind of like the way PERL's crypt() function
works now. Maybe a

	smb_crypt()

How about it?

I got RDBMS triggers calling perl scripts to modify passwd file directly
and calling smbpasswd from Expect scripts to modify smbpasswd file. Way far
from clean solution. I'm doing JavaScript, SQL, perl, bash script, expect
script, and Java, simultaneously here. Not fun!

I'm about to rename this place to "New Hack City".

At 06:38 04-03-98 +1000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>yes, this is a good idea, as it could be automated from a script.
>
>luke
>
>On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Gerald W. Carter wrote:
>
>> I was working on the NTDOM FAQ a little was working on the part about
>> adding machines to the smbpasswd file.  Had a quick thought...
>>
>> Would it be beneficial to add a switch to smbpasswd so that machine
>> accounts could be added directly?  For example, something like
>>
>> 	smbpasswd -add -machine mymachine
>>
>> which would generate the the entry
>>
>> 	MYMACHINE$:<mymachine>:0080:
>>
>> rather than the standard user entry which would then have to be
>> modified.
>>
>> I realize that the plans are to be able to create these accounts
>> automatically but in the meantime, this could be a quick hack.
>>

>> j-
>>                             Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter
>> Engineering Network Services                           Auburn University
>> jerry at eng.auburn.edu             http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/cartegw
>>
>>        "...a hundred billion castaways looking for a home."
>>                                   - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail:		mailto:rmeyer at mhsc.com
Personalweb pages:	http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site:	http://www.mhsc.com/