R: Samba NTDOM FAQ Draft #2

Giampaolo Tomassoni tomassoni at crisato.oftalm.unisi.it
Fri Mar 6 03:01:07 GMT 1998

>On-line at
>
> http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/cartegw/samba_ntdom_faq.html
>

>Thanks for all the comments on the first draft.

Hi Gerald,

I have a couple of questions regarding the section <<2. How do I get my NT
Workstation / Server to login to the Samba controlled Domain?>> of the FAQ
Draft:

According to it, seems that a workstation entry shall be of the form:

    my_workstation's_name$:LM_XXX:NT_XXX:0080:other_fields_are_ignored:

I actually have declared my trusted workstations with lines like:

    my_workstation's_name$:65534:LM_XXX:NT_XXX:0080::
                             ^
                        nobody's uid

and they seem to work pretty well... Is it an alterante form?

Later in the same section the FAQ states that a domain sid is of the form:

    domain sid = S-1-5-21-XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX

while I am actually using a S-1-5-21-XXX-XXX-XXX sid. Is the sid
variable-length? If this is the case, I believe it is better to explicitly
state that.

Finally, I would like to read a deeper explanation of how to create roaming
accounts, apart the ControlPanel->System->Profiles stuff which, at least for
me, didn't work at all. Also what a NTUSER.DAT, ntuser.dat.LOG and
ntlogin.pol files are and contains (at least roughly). This would help me a
lot, so I believe it could help somebody else as well.

Thanks,

Giampaolo Tomassoni Information Systems Consultant
P.za 8 Aprile 1948, 4 Tel/Fax: +39 (578) 21100
I-53044 Chiusi (SI)  e-mail: tomassoni at geocities.com
ITALY
homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Park/2209/