Machine account

Tim Winders twinders at SPC.cc.tx.us
Wed Mar 4 04:06:38 GMT 1998

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Gerald W. Carter wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Tim Winders wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Gerald W. Carter wrote:
> >
> > > smbpasswd -add nobody opt
> > >
> > > This will create the entry and you can then edit the username and replace
> > > it with opt$ as well as inserting the :0080: field following the password
> > > hash.
> >
> > Great.  This created the account for nobody, I changed the name to opt$.
> > So far, so good.  It put in the nobody group number, but the NTDOMAIN.txt
> > file doesn't list that.  Does the group number need to be removed?  What
> > password did the above command put in the smbpasswd file?  Does it matter?
> >  Thanks!
>
> the password was set to the third parameter ( "opt" ).  The only things
> that matter in the machine account entry are
>
> MACHINE$:uid:XXXXXXXXX......:......XXXXXXXX:0080:
>
> whete uid is whatever ( i have been using the nobody account uid and am
> not sure what part this integer actually plays in the logon process ).
> Note that the last ':' is necessary

Yes, I figured the last parameter was the password AFTER I sent the
message.  Doh!

Luke -  will you (or whoever is doing the NTDOMAIN.txt DOC) update the
information to reflect the above uid and final : for the machine$ record?
The "smbpasswd -add nobody password" might also be a good trick to list.
Thanks!

|  Tim Winders, CNE              |  Email:  twinders at SPC.cc.tx.us   |
|  Network Administrator         |  Phone:  806-894-9611 x 2369     |
|  South Plains College          |  Fax:    806-897-4711            |