Machine account

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed Mar 4 02:26:13 GMT 1998

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Tim Winders wrote:

> Specifically, I have a machine named OPT which I would like to add.  So, I
> need an entry like:
>
> opt$:"16 byte hash of opt":"16 byte hash of opt":0080:anything else
>
> So, how do I generate the hash of opt?

smbpasswd -add nobody opt

This will create the entry and you can then edit the username and replace
it with opt$ as well as inserting the :0080: field following the password
hash.

PS : I am planning to look at possibily adding a -machine option to
smbpasswd to generate these accounts tomorrow...unless soemone else had
their heart set on doing it ;)

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )