Using Policies and Profiles??

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Mar 3 18:34:32 GMT 1998

hi mark,

if you have configured NT servers to download policies and/or profiles,
then you are in a very good position to understand what to do here, using
samba PDC instead of NT PDC....

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Mark Brown wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have abandoned the Alpha for the moment and built Samba NT DOM
> on a pentium/linux. It works and I can have NT workstations join
> the domain - I am just trying to get a samba domain running and
> serving profiles and policies in order to register this years
> student accounts else I will be stuck with the existing mix of
> NT domain controller for authorization and samba for file/print
> serving for another year. So any pointers would be greatly
> appreciated. I think I am very close, but just about out of time.
>
> Can anyone point me at some words or give me a brief summary on the
> process of associating profiles/policies with a login. At the moment
> (with a real NT domain controller) we have for example mandatory
> profiles for honours students, third years etc and roaming profiles
> for staff as well as assorted policies.
> Is it just a matter of putting profiles etc in a netlogon dir and
> running some sort of logon script to substitute the NT User Manager
> associations? (and if so what sort of script :-) )

look up "logon script" and "profile path" and "home dir": these are the
parameters you will need.  also, the existing docs DOMAINS.txt etc etc:
it's all there: [netlogon] share etc.  should be easy to do.  someone else
from an aus. uni posted that they had got profiles set up, too: check the
samba-ntdom archives, ok?

good luck!

luke