smbpasswd (PR#8066)

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Tue Jun 30 17:50:56 GMT 1998

janet at bioss.sari.ac.uk wrote:

> Hi
>         When I use smbpasswd to change a password consisting of all X's, (ie
> pressing return when asked for Old smbpasswd) it gives me an error of :
>
> /usr/solaris/samba/source/smbpasswd: machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the
> session setup. Error was : ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password -
> name/password pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.).
>
>         It works OK if used to change an existing password entry.

Janet,

	A password consisting of all 'X's is equivalent
to a disabled account - no old password will match.

To allow smbpasswd to change it, the current password
must be either set locally via smbpasswd running as root,
or be set to "NO PASSWORDXXXXXX..." and then changed by
the user.

Maybe this should be clarified in the docs (followups
sent to the samba-ntdom list).

Cheers,

	Jeremy Allison.
	Samba Team.