SPAM: Important Legislative Alert (fwd)

Mike Black mblack at csihq.com
Wed Jun 24 18:51:36 GMT 1998

Sounds a little paranoid to me...and I quote from H.R. 2281:

Re: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c105:1:./temp/~c105ALwm9K:e9304:

Sec. 1201. Circumvention of copyright protection systems

     `(a) VIOLATIONS REGARDING CIRCUMVENTION OF TECHNOLOGICAL PROTECTION
MEASURES- (1) No
     person shall circumvent a technological protection measure that
effectively controls access to a work protected under this title

This is talking about bypassing a copyright protection scheme with the sole
purpose of doing so.

So, things like:

#1 - Video copier that can copy protected tapes -- has no other real
purpose.
#2 - Disk copier that can copy copy-protected disks -- has no other real
purpose.

This has nothing to do with the general tools which reverse engineer things
or to general encryption schemes which are not targeted at copyright
protection.  Basically, it extends copyright protection to disallowing tools
explicitly aimed at violating copyrights.  The "copying of text" reference
below has nothing to do with this bill.
There's no mention made of anything other than copyright
protection...So...if you aren't violating copyrights now this bill won't
touch what you're doing.

Question I would have relative to this list is "is the NT Domain protocol
copyrighted??"  If so, then reverse engineering it in any way (other than
clean room) would seem illegal.