Win95 Not Using Encrypted Passwords

Paul Epp epp at clrtech.bc.ca
Sat Jun 20 00:05:40 GMT 1998

I'm currently working on setting up a samba based cdrom tower. I am using
domain based authentication.

Note this cdrom server isn't running as a domain controller, it's simply a
member of the NT domain.

My problem is I cannot get windows 95 machines to access the shares on my
cdrom tower because all authentication with the password server is failing
with a NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD.

I think one the main problem is that the windows 95 machine isn't sending
to passwords to the samba machine as encrypted passwords (hence the
domain_client_validate: User passwords not in encrypted format.) while the
NT clients are sending the passwords in encrypted format. From the quick
look at the code around that error message it looks like the samba server
is then encrypting the password before it tries to compare it using the
password server.

If I hack smbclient to not use encrypted passwords I get the same results.

Does anybody have domain level authentication working browsing from both
NT and Win95??
Thanks, hope somebody can help me out.
 Paul Epp
-----------------------------

Here's a log output:

1998/06/19 13:52:26 Transaction 3 of length 169
switch message SMBsesssetupX (pid 6174)
Domain=[CSC-PAC-SCC]  NativeOS=[Windows 4.0] NativeLanMan=[Windows 4.0]
sesssetupX:name=[PAC_TEST]
Trying username pac_tesT
Trying username pac_tesT
domain_client_validate: User passwords not in encrypted format.
resolve_name: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name S80102ABOTSFORD
startlmhosts: Can't open lmhosts file /usr/local/samba/lib/lmhosts. Error
was No such file or directory
resolve_name: Attempting host lookup for name S80102ABOTSFORD
resolve_name: Attempting wins lookup for name S80102ABOTSFORD<0x20>
bind succeeded on port 0
Got a positive name query response from 172.22.5.19 ( 172.22.5.19 )
Connecting to 172.22.5.19 at port 139
cli_net_sam_logon: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user pac_test in
domain
CSC-PAC-SCC to Domain controller S80102ABOTSFORD. Error was
NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD.
Trying username pac_tesT
Trying username pac_tesT
Couldn't find user pac_test
1998/06/19 13:52:28 error packet at line 685 cmd=115 (SMBsesssetupX)
eclass=2 ec
ode=2
error string = Connection refused
end of file from client
Closing connections
1998/06/19 13:52:29 Server exit  (normal exit)