Odd domain authentication problem

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Mon Jun 15 22:01:10 GMT 1998

Evan Champion wrote:

> We've managed to get it so that if I try to login to the samba server from
> NT, then authentication succeeds.  However, I can't manage to get it to
> authenticate with smbclient; the error is invalid password.
>
> The command line I am using is:
>
> smbclient -L sambaserver -W domain
>
> The only thing I am seeing logged is:
>
> cli_net_sam_logon: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
> domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user evanc in
> domain MYDOMAIN to Domain controller CONTROLLER. Error was
> NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD.

I just checked in changes to the head brach that fixes
these problems.

The two problems were that smbclient wasn't doing the
NT password hashing (it is now) and also wasn't correctly
looking at the 'workgroup=' parameter in smb.conf (it
does now :-).

cvs update & it should work (it does here).

Cheers,

	Jeremy.