Must a Samba PDC use encrypted passwords?

Andrew Perrin - Demography aperrin at demog.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Jun 10 18:31:04 GMT 1998

Kevin, how about this as a scheme:

1.) set up the samba server as non-encrypted with update encrypted on for
a while. Put a read-only [homes] share on it.
2.) Put a quick script in the Startup folder of the NT machines that's
something like "cmd /c type \\server\homes\dummy.txt".  This way upon
logging in, each user gets their home directory mounted, thereby updating
your smbpasswd file.
3.) When you're ready, switch to encryption on, and filter the smbpaswd
file with a grep -v XXXXXXX which will give you all the lines that have a
non-blank password.

As an alternative, you could keep a non-encrypted server running and the
item in the startup folder so that new users get their pw created.

Andrew J. Perrin - aperrin at demog.berkeley.edu - NT/Unix Admin/Support
Department of Demography    -    University of California at Berkeley
2232 Piedmont Avenue #2120  -    Berkeley, California, 94720-2120 USA
http://demog.berkeley.edu/~aperrin --------------------------SEIU1199