Must a Samba PDC use encrypted passwords?

CAE Samba Admin caesmb at lab2.cc.wmich.edu
Wed Jun 10 17:31:39 GMT 1998

> > 	Well, this is fine and dandy if you are migrating from having
> > people connect to non-PDC samba box towards a PDC, but when you are
> > starting out in an homogeneous NT enviornment never having had samba
> > running for other than test purposes, this is rather pointless as a user
> > won't be able to sit down at an NT box and type in there username and
> > password to login without having *first* been in the smbpasswd file.
>
> ok, then under _these_ circumstances, in a pre-existing NT network, you
> want to use the PWDUMP utility (by jeremy allison) or its NT server admin
> / resource kit equivalent (don't know exactly where this is).

	True we are going from an existing NT network, but we aren't
looking to relace NT.  The samba server is on the machine with the campus
wide user database, so we aren't really migrating from NT either.  We're
starting from ground zero, and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any
clean method to get all the users from the unix passwd database into the
smbpasswd file.
	There are several thousand users in that database and only a few
hundred will use our lab, which is currently the only one which will be
authenticating against samba.  We have no way of knowing who exactly those
few hundred users will be.  We'd just dump everyone into the smbpasswd
file if we could fine a *secure* way to seemlessly change there smbpasswd
when they change their unix passwd.  However, there doesn't seem to be a
mechanism for this yet.

Kevin