Must a Samba PDC use encrypted passwords?

CAE Samba Admin caesmb at lab2.cc.wmich.edu
Wed Jun 10 17:17:14 GMT 1998

> correct.  but you should have only been running "update encrypted" for 3
> to 7 days _prior_ to enabling "encrypt passwords" therefore this situation
> should not really occur.

	Well, this is fine and dandy if you are migrating from having
people connect to non-PDC samba box towards a PDC, but when you are
starting out in an homogeneous NT enviornment never having had samba
running for other than test purposes, this is rather pointless as a user
won't be able to sit down at an NT box and type in there username and
password to login without having *first* been in the smbpasswd file.

> what you _could_ do is have:
>
> include = smb.conf.%m
>
> and have two different netbios names for your machine, one with update
> encrypted the other with encrypt passwords.

	Chicken before the egg.  I don't see what you are getting at here.

Kevin