Must a Samba PDC use encrypted passwords?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Wed Jun 10 11:02:38 GMT 1998

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, CAE Samba Admin wrote:

> > a new option has been added: "update encrypted".  run with this for a
> > week; then move over to "encrypt passwords".
>
> 	Just to clarify this in my mind...  If I have "update encrypted" I
> have to have "encrypt passwords" off, which effectively breaks PDC
> functionality, right?

correct.  but you should have only been running "update encrypted" for 3
to 7 days _prior_ to enabling "encrypt passwords" therefore this situation
should not really occur.

what you _could_ do is have:

include = smb.conf.%m

and have two different netbios names for your machine, one with update
encrypted the other with encrypt passwords.