Must a Samba PDC use encrypted passwords?

Tavis Barr tavis at mahler.econ.columbia.edu
Tue Jun 9 06:01:43 GMT 1998

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, David Bannon wrote:

> Luke,
>    Are you possibly thinking of my very basic programme to replace the unix
> passwd programme. I wrote it somewhat earlier in the NTDomain history and
> have been using it since then. Works fine in our simple enviroment. I
> believe a number of other people are using it too. I was a bit 'shy' of
> putting it in the contributed directory at the time and posted it via my
> web page, http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au/about/passwd.c.txt .

I tested this code out on SunOs 4.1.3, and found a number of things that
didn't work right:

(1) There is no header file "mode.h" in my system, although when I
commented it out, nothing failed to compile

(2) SunOS does not use the passwd.dir and passwd.pag files; hence it does
not have /sbin/mkpasswd.  This command failed and reported an error, but
/etc/passwd and ~/smbpasswd were still updated correctly.

(3) Upon successful completion, it changed the permissions on /etc/passwd
to make it readable only by root.  (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

(4) It only worked correctly for non-privileged users when run setuid
root, but smbpasswd only works correctly when _not_ setuid root.

Anyway, it's a nifty little program and I don't know if you ever intended
to make it operable beyond your own system, but if you do perhaps we can
work on fixing the above.

Cheers,
Tavis