Must a Samba PDC use encrypted passwords?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Mon Jun 8 12:57:09 GMT 1998

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Tavis Barr wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > > The best solution is to rewrite you passwd program on the unix box to
> > > pipe the change to /etc/passwd and smbpasswd.  This is fairly trivial
> >
> > this has already been done.
> >
> > ftp://samba.anu.edu.au/pub/samba/contributed/yp-smb-passwd-0.2.tgz
>
> I just downloaded this file and looked at the documentation and the
> code.  I couldn't find any references to smb passwords, unless it's
> buried deep in the getpwuid() types of calls.  It looked like a plain old
> YP passwd program (although a perfectly good one at that).  Am I missing
> something?
>
> Thanks,
> Tavis

tavis,

being honest: i have no idea.  someone (please check the archives) said,
"i've written this program that does both unix and samba passwords" i
said, "great, send me a copy i'll put in the contributed directory".

so you might be missing something: please let me know, however, one way or
the other!

thanks,

luke