Must a Samba PDC use encrypted passwords?

Tavis Barr tavis at mahler.econ.columbia.edu
Fri Jun 5 21:31:21 GMT 1998

On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, Gerald Carter wrote:

> The best solution is to rewrite you passwd program on the unix box to
> pipe the change to /etc/passwd and smbpasswd.  This is fairly trivial
> if these files are located on the same box that user's login to change
> their passwd.  If uses's change their passwd on other machines besides
> these master's, then things get a little trickier.

Is there any way to do this without having users prompted four times for
their password (twice by Unix and twice by smbpasswd)?

Wasn't there a "unix password sync" option?  I can't find it in my
documentation.  It would certainly be great if someone could write a
passwd program that updated both password files.

Cheers,
Tavis