Must a Samba PDC use encrypted passwords?

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Fri Jun 5 21:03:08 GMT 1998

Albert Chin-A-Young wrote:

> If you're running NIS, I'd like to see a modified rpc.yppasswdd that
> updated NIS passwd and NIS smbpasswd at the same time. Samba would
> then have to be modified to use NIS for smbpasswd. I'd also like to
> see Samba refer to both smbpasswd and passwd (if the login name is not
> in smbpasswd, then look in passwd). The latter is important until
> everyone changes their password.

making the smbpasswd file available via NIS IHMO is a bad idea.
Remember that the hashes in smbpasswd are plaintext equivalents.  Better
to use the security = domain model and authenticate against one server
that has the smbpasswd file local.

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )