Must a Samba PDC use encrypted passwords?

Andrew Perrin - Demography aperrin at demog.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Jun 5 21:02:08 GMT 1998

Unless I misunderstand this, using NIS to distribute smbpasswd would be a
huge security hold, since the smbpasswd hashes would be flying around the
net; anybody with a sniffer would be able to glean a password-equivalent
from this.  Am I wrong?

Andy Perrin
UC Berkeley, Demography