Must a Samba PDC use encrypted passwords?

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Fri Jun 5 20:16:43 GMT 1998

Paul Keck wrote:

> After the period of getting everyone to log in and get their password
> updated is done and we switch to encrypted passwords, /etc/passwd and
> smbpasswd will start to diverge, right?  Meaning, if they change one
> the other will NOT change.

Correct

> If that is true, is there a good way around this?

The best solution is to rewrite you passwd program on the unix box to
pipe the change to /etc/passwd and smbpasswd.  This is fairly trivial
if these files are located on the same box that user's login to change
their passwd.  If uses's change their passwd on other machines besides
these master's, then things get a little trickier.

> Someone tell me I'm wrong!  I'll pay good pizza for something I can
> cron/pipe my /etc/passwd through.  :-)

Nice to see goo southern hospitality on the 'net :)

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )