file permissions for NT policies

Mick Haigh mhaigh at village.vut.edu.au
Wed Jun 3 01:50:36 GMT 1998

Hiya Everyone.

I've been messing around with policies with NT 4.0 machines and have
come across a very annoying behaviour.  To allow the NT 4.0 machine to
download a new copy of the policy reliably when a user logs on, I have
had to allow write access to the NTconfig.POL file in /NETLOGON.  I have
no idea why this is necessary and have yet to check on whether this is
the case with an NT server instead of a Samba server.

Perhaps someone out there can give me an answer or let me know what I
might have done wrong.

Thanks
Mick