RID's

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Mon Jun 1 18:50:34 GMT 1998

Tavis Barr wrote:

> I'm wondering if someone can quickly tell me what functionalities will be
> added once you guys straighten out the RID mapping problem.  Will we be
> able to save local profiles?  Use User Manager on our workstations?
> Generate group-based file/share permissions?  Is all of this handled on the
> workstation end once the smb server is able to announce RIDs, or does each
> of these tasks require programming on the server end?

I think you should already be able to store local profiles.
Can someone confirm this ?

The RID mapping problem is really an infrastructure design
problem, to allow UNIX to efficiently operate as a PDC - by
itself it doesn't change much, but once the design is made,
it allows a lot of new code to be written.

> Use User Manager on our workstations

The User manager problem is a currently broken rpc call - it's
on my list of things to fix.

> Generate group-based file/share permissions?

Yes, the RID mapping should help this (but we need
NT SMB support first).

Cheers,

	Jeremy.