User Access from NT3.51 workstation to a share on Unixware Samba Server

Sudarsan Varadan sudarsan.varadan at wang.com
Wed Jul 29 16:27:57 GMT 1998

Hi

	I have this problem where I have SAMBA 1.9.18 installed on a SCO unixware
server 2.1.3.  I have a workstation running NT3.51, and the following are my
settings from my smb.conf file.

[global]

        admin users = user1
        debuglevel = 4
        browse list = no
        workgroup = ONT_DOMAIN
        server string = SCO Unixware Server
        hosts allow = 115.189.112.0/255.255.255.0
        load printers = no
        guest account = pcguest
        log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
        max log size = 500
        security = domain
        password server = 115.189.112.46
        local master = no
        domain master = no
        preferred master = no
        domain logons = yes
        revalidate = yes
        name resolve order = wins host lmhosts bcast
        wins support = no
        wins server = 115.189.112.46
        wins proxy = no

[PUBLIC]
   comment = Public Stuff
   path = /home/pwrchute
   public = no
   writable = no
   printable = no
   hosts allow = 115.189.112.47
   valid users = user1, user2, user3

If I have public = no, I am not able to authenticate any user to connect to
the service/share, though I have valid users = user1, user2 etc.  I am new
to samba and have gone thru a lot of the documentation and tried various
combinations with no success.  If I set public = yes then everytime anyone
comes in they come in as guest, which I do not want.  Also I have network
monitor running on my pdc and I do not see any authentication going thru it.
My NT3.51 PDC is my password server , thus the setting server = domain.  Can
anybody help me this and point out what I am doing wrong.  I have spent
almost a week and would like to get this resolved.  Please advise....

Sudarsan Varadan