domain admin users / samba wins support/massive file transfers (fwd)

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Mon Jul 13 13:17:18 GMT 1998

wass eran wrote:

> it works - but there is no way to add the global admin group to the
> local admin group so I couldn't make myself  as a domain admin to have
> full rights on the NT workstation i am logging into the domain from.

Something changed recently ( past month or so ).  I don't remember
exactly what.  Luke, Jeremy?

> i even tried to lower the amount of users to 1 in smbpasswd (only me)
> so i might be able to run usrmgr on SAMBA and i could but i
> couldn't do any operations on the domain ... i also tried a different
> tool to administer domains called "hyena" [which is much better than
> usrmgr - if it can help you with the samba project i would be glad to
> send it to you] but i got the same results...

There's a lot of the RPC calls that are not implemented.

> the copy just stops because smbd gets a SIGPIPE and quits the copy,
> is this because smbd fills the client's buffer too fast and the client
> sends the smbd a sigpipe and the smbd doesn't know how to handle it ?

I'm asumming that you do not experience this problem on the main
distribution.  Check the logs for "getpeername failed" entries.

> i sure wish you had a url with the tgz of the latest alpha/prealpha
> version (same as cvs) - a script can be cron'ed to do it i'm sure ....

I tarred up one on July 10th.  It's located at

ftp.eng.auburn.edu/pub/cartegw/samba-1.9.19-prealpha.tar.gz

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )