browsing break 18p8

Michel Christaller Michel.Christaller at cea.fr
Tue Jul 7 13:50:11 GMT 1998

Hi,

I have a 1.9.18p8 regular server and on the same subnet,
on another workgroup, a alpha nt-domain server.

When I set up this secondary server as domain master
browser, it "kills" the regular samba domain master
browser.

eg. client w95 PCs of the regular server can't browse
any more. But clients of the alpha server can browse !
(to be more precise I suspect that the browsing is broken
on one side: either browsing of one workgroup works, or
on the other: Maybe a problem of speed of answer ?)

When I reconfigure the alpha server as a non browser master
(the master browser then becomes a NT WS PC), then all
is fine.

So, for me and my snapshot of the alpha nt-domain (which is
not the latest), alpha nt-domain browsing seems broken...

excerpts of my smb.conf files.

on the regular server:

; it can be a local master browser server
local master = yes
; it can be a domain master browser server
domain master = yes
; force election on startup for browsing
preferred master = yes
; it wins browse elections over winNT servers...
os level = 65
; will serve a browse list to clients
browse list = yes
; don't show services by default
browseable = no
; will broadcast its browse list
remote announce = 132.x.y.255

; it is a WINS server
;wins support = yes
; it answers broadcast WINS queries
wins proxy = yes
; it uses a WINS server
wins server = 132.x.y.1

Then on the alpha server (when browing broken):

; it can be a master browser server
domain master = yes
; it has preference as master browser server
preferred master = yes
; it wins browse elections over winNT servers...
os level = 36
; will serve a browse list to clients
browse list = yes
; don't show services by default