using samba with nt

Fook Sheng chen68 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 2 09:36:26 GMT 1998

Hi

Chan Fook Sheng wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I would appreciate if anyone can help me with the below:
>
> I have a FreeBSD 2.2.6 with samba 1.9.18.3, I wish to share out my
> harddisk on FreeBSD to Win95 users, and controlling access of
> directories on FreeBSD through WinNT Domain Controller, is this
> possible?

Yes.

for my smb.conf I have :
workgroup = sgnet
guest account is not enabled
security = domain
password server = sgnt
encrypt password = yes
domian master = no
wins server =  <ip of WINS server, a real NT>
dns proxy = no

[mis]
comment = mis folder
path = /usr/home/mis
writable = yes
valid users = mis
public = no
guest ok = no

[public]
comment = blah ...
path = /usr/home/public
public = yes
read only = no
guest ok = yes

> Do I still need users account on the FreeBSD? If so are they normal
> unix users created by adduser?

No.  I don't think they will need a unix account.  All username/password

validation should be done by the NT PDC.

I still can't achieve that, can you kindly tell me how to do it, or give
me the url.

With the above config, when I access the public, I don't have to give
any passwords, when I access the mis folder, I need to type the password
for the mis account, the setup the mis account on FreeBSD using passwd.
NT is not doing the authentication. I have the mis account in NT. Also
what is the use of smbpasswd, and when should I use it?

> Can I use user groups (from NT domain controller) in samba to control
> directories access?

Nope.  Not yet.

> I tried to join my freebsd to the nt domain, but when I type smbpasswd

> -j domain I got "./smbpasswd: Unable to get UNIX password entry for
> user." does this mean I have to create an account for domain? If so,
> how to do that?

Did you create the machine account on the NT PDC?  If so, could you up
the debug level in smbpaswd and send the output?

Can you teach me how to up the debug level ? I have registered the
machine account for samba using server manager.

In addition I found out that if I login using the built-in visitor
account(guest), I can access my mis resource without being prompt for
password, is it because I have missed something?

> I have read the faq and mailing list on the samba site, but I just
> can't figure out what to do, I'm confused, pls help me.
>
> fook sheng

j-

                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )