unix password sync

Tim Winders twinders at SPC.cc.tx.us
Wed Jul 1 14:46:19 GMT 1998

On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Gerald Carter wrote:

> Vegard Wallin wrote:
> >
> > We're setting up samba as a PDC on a system running OSF1 v4.0. Most
> > things work OK, but the nice sounding "unix password sync" option does
> > not. When running smbpasswd as a regular user, I get no errormessages,
> > but the passwords are not updated and I get a coredump. The logfile
> > says:
>
> "unix password sync" is only for Win95 password changes, not NT user
> password changes.  That is not implemented yet.
>
> > INTERNAL ERROR: Signal 11 in pid 31668 (1.9.19-prealpha)
> > [some memory dump]
> > Dumping core in /usr/local/samba/system/var/corefiles
>
> Is this when run from a "password chat" script?  Or from a shell on the
> unix as the user?
>
> also, what the server OS?

He said above he is running OSF/1 4.0 (Digital Unix).  I too am running
Digital UNIX and have the same problem.  I can use the smbpasswd program
just fine, but when I try to change the password using the Win95 password
control panel, I get a core dump.  I sent a gdb trace, log file etc, but
this hasn't been fixed.  I think the short answer is that "Win95 password
changing is not supported under Digital Unix".

=== Tim

|  Tim Winders, CNE, MCSE        |  Email:  TWinders at SPC.cc.tx.us   |
|  Network Administrator         |  Phone:  806-894-9611 x 2369     |
|  South Plains College          |  Fax:    806-897-4711            |