using samba with nt

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed Jul 1 14:23:17 GMT 1998

Chan Fook Sheng wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I would appreciate if anyone can help me with the below:
>
> I have a FreeBSD 2.2.6 with samba 1.9.18.3, I wish to share out my
> harddisk on FreeBSD to Win95 users, and controlling access of
> directories on FreeBSD through WinNT Domain Controller, is this
> possible?

Yes.

> Do I still need users account on the FreeBSD? If so are they normal
> unix users created by adduser?

No.  I don't think they will need a unix account.  All username/password
validation should be done by the NT PDC.

> Can I use user groups (from NT domain controller) in samba to control
> directories access?

Nope.  Not yet.

> I tried to join my freebsd to the nt domain, but when I type smbpasswd
> -j domain I got "./smbpasswd: Unable to get UNIX password entry for
> user." does this mean I have to create an account for domain? If so,
> how to do that?

Did you create the machine account on the NT PDC?  If so, could you up
the debug level in smbpaswd and send the output?

> I have read the faq and mailing list on the samba site, but I just
> can't figure out what to do, I'm confused, pls help me.
>
> fook sheng

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )