unix password sync

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed Jul 1 12:48:58 GMT 1998

Vegard Wallin wrote:

> We're setting up samba as a PDC on a system running OSF1 v4.0. Most
> things work OK, but the nice sounding "unix password sync" option does
> not. When running smbpasswd as a regular user, I get no errormessages,
> but the passwords are not updated and I get a coredump. The logfile
> says:

"unix password sync" is only for Win95 password changes, not NT user
password changes.  That is not implemented yet.

> INTERNAL ERROR: Signal 11 in pid 31668 (1.9.19-prealpha)
> [some memory dump]
> Dumping core in /usr/local/samba/system/var/corefiles

Is this when run from a "password chat" script?  Or from a shell on the
unix as the user?

also, what the server OS?

> When running smbpasswd as root, cnanging password for a regular user,
> I dont get the coredump and error in logfile, but only the smbpassword
> gets updated.

See notes above.

> If this feature would work it would save us a lot of work, we have > about 500 members in this domain.
>
> smbpasswd works OK when disabling this feature (only the entry in
> smbpasswd gets updated). We're running latest CVS as of yesterday.

Someone please correct if I am wrong, but I didn't that that smbd called
'smbpasswd' to update the encrypted password hash.  Rather the code was
built in.  The "unix password sync" tells smbd to call the password
program if the password change is successful.

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )