Summary

Nuno Loureiro nuno at lwp.ualg.pt
Fri Feb 27 15:15:38 GMT 1998

Hi there!!!

	Thanks again for the support given.
	Well, this week I installed samba to be a PDC of 25 NT4+SP3
Workstations.
	I can login normally, I can access shares, I can print, I use
policies, profiles, etc..
	During the installation I had some problems, and I would like some
help to "repair" some of those problems.
        My smb.conf is included bellow.

1 - To use policies I had to put netlogon/ntconfig.pol and
ntconfig.pol.LOG mode 777. If I use other mode on the files the policies
won't work. Also, the policies problem is a kind'of complicated, because
to NT there is no USER neither groups on the Domain. I used the Default
Policy all the users and individual policies for each one of the admins.
Well, this is working, but netlogon/ntconfig.* world writable is a
security problem. Is there a way to contorn this?
I Hope that the lusers to  be lamers. :)

2 - I tryed to share a dir on a workstation, to everyone (the only
possibility), but from another workstation I can't mount it *sometimes*.

3 - the preexec option to log user's logins and logouts doesn't work for
me. Dunno why..

4 - I use that trick (net use lpt1 //server/printer) to print. I have two
printers, and I can print on both that way with no problem, but I would
like to do pooling between both, on windows. I tryed to use Windows to do
pooling but it doesn't work. Anyone knows how can I do this?

Can anyone also see my smb.conf and do some tunning!?!! :)
Thanks in advance,

	Nuno Loureiro

---------------------- Begin of smb.conf ---------------------------------
; The global setting for a default install
; Copyright(C) John H Terpstra - 1997
;===================== Global Settings =====================================
[global]

   workgroup = SEGNET
   comment = AAUAL Samba Server
   domain sid = S-1-5-21-123-456-789-123

   security = USER
   encrypt passwords = yes
   local master = yes
   os level = 75
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   wins support = yes
   logon drive = u:
   logon home = "\\rtfm\%U"
   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
   unix realname = yes
   time server = True
   guest account = nobody
   logon script = script.bat

; printing = BSD or SYSV or AIX, etc.
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = no

; Logs
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
   max log size = 500
;   log level = 50

; Options for handling file name case sensitivity and / or preservation
; Case Sensitivity breaks many WfW and Win95 apps
;   case sensitive = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   preserve case = yes

; Security and file integrity related options
   lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
   locking = yes
   share modes = yes
   guest ok = no

; Performance Related Options
; Before setting socket options read the smb.conf man page!!
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

# Unix users can map to different SMB User names
username map = /etc/users.map

;======================= Share Definitions ==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   public = no
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   root preexec = echo \"%u connected to %S from %m (%I)\" >> /tmp/log
   root postexec = echo \"%u disconnected from %S from %m (%I)\" >> /tmp/log

; Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain Logons
[Netlogon]
   comment = Samba Network Logon Service
   path = /home/samba/netlogon
; Case sensitivity breaks logon script processing!!!
   case sensitive = no
   guest ok = no
   locking = no
;   writable = no
   writable = yes
;   For browseable say NO if you want to hide the NETLOGON share
   browseable = yes

; Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
; the default is to use the user's home directory
[Profiles]
    path = /home/samba/profiles
    browseable = no
    printable = no
    guest ok = yes
    writable = yes

; NOTE: There is NO need to specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /usr/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   printable = yes
; Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   create mask = 0700
   printer driver = HP DeskJet 670C
   print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p %s ; rm %s
   lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
   lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j

[public]
   comment = Public Stuff
   path = /home/samba/public
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   write list = @users
   read list = @alunos
;   admin users = nuno, bpedro, antobar, victor

[admins]
    comment = Only for Administrators
    path = /home/samba/admin
    valid users = nuno, bpedro, antobar, victor, viseu
    admin users = nuno, bpedro, antobar, victor, viseu
    public = yes
;    writable = no
    write list = @users
    printable = no