get_smbpwd_entries

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Fri Feb 20 17:06:18 GMT 1998

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Danny Braniss wrote:

> i've got the BRANCH_NTDOM branch, and after making some changes to
> have the smbpassword and our unix password in sync, i stumbbled upon
> get_smbpwd_entries. Since our password file is well over the 250 mark,
> i was wondering what is the purpose of it.

this function is for when you run "user manager for domains" on the Samba
DC.  the code behind this is experimental, and you don't need it.

> Im in dear need of a PDC, and don't want it to be an NT box.

this will not be a problem: because of other reasons [i still haven't
fixed dce/rpc responses of greater than about 1500 bytes], you can only
view about four accounts anyway!

but that is ok: you can just manage the accounts by editing
private/smbpasswd, and smb.conf in the normal way.  being able to use
USRMGR.EXE at some point in the future will simply be an added bonus, but
not strictly necessary.

best regards,

luke