Accessing LOCAL files after login to NT-4-WS via Samba P

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Fri Feb 20 16:45:08 GMT 1998

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Jean-Francois Micouleau wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > > Additionally, if anyone wished to spend a couple of days coding,
> >
> > ..i think jean-francois expressed an interest in doing this [particular
> > task, four months ago]...
>
> Just a minor correction, which is a little bit relative to ntdom:
>
> First, if someone want to add a multiple domain support to samba, it's a
> good start.

you start with browsing, and domains automatically follow.

> Second, samba need to be able to communicate with others wins servers.

wins services are nothing to do with browsing or domain services.  wins is
like a dynamic version of dns, and nothing more.  a simple wins server can
be written in 400 lines of code, excluding support libraries (linked
lists, netbios routines).

browsing _uses_ wins to register [dynamic] netbios names, and nothing
more.

what i think you might have meant, possibly, was that samba would have to
communicate with other domain servers.  this puts us into the realm of
"trusted domain relationships", which is a whole new ball game, and one
that... funnily enough, isn't all that relevant [to either wins services
or trusted domain relationships].

> On a pure coding view I agree there is no link between the 2 points, but
> on the field, if you manage several domains, it also means you will
> probably have more than one wins server

you could get away with just the one wins server for a large site, on a
beefy machine.  but that becomes a single point of failure, sadly.  until
we have working wins replication, you could configure several nt
stand-alone servers running nt replicated wins service.  then when samba
gets wins replication (someone's sent in a patch: needs some work, but
it's a really good start) you could conceivably replace those machines
with samba servers (change the ip addresses :-)