Todo list

Jean-Francois Micouleau Jean-Francois.Micouleau at utc.fr
Mon Feb 9 15:15:47 GMT 1998

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Paul Ashton wrote:

> I thought I'd try and enumerate some of the things that need
> doing and hopefully get some volunteers to look into them,
> or at least provide comments and pointers on them.

[snip]

> 3. Password changing. There seems to be dozens of ways to
>    do this and the various mechanisms are documented in
>    some of the cifs documents, microsoft ppp chap extensions,
>    and other places. NetServerPasswordSet() should be an
>    easy one that we haven't got around to yet. The nice
>    one to have would be the CTRL-ALT-DEL password change
>    one as that provides a plaintext password to the server
>    in order that it can be quality checked. Decoding that

Did you get a trace of this one already ? From what I understood on
others lists the password is sent in form of encrypted challenge/response.
Or I didn't understand at all which is also possible !

>    one means that we can synchonise password databases
>    with /etc/passwd providing the password is changed on
>    the NT machine.
>
> 4. Web front ends to configuration management data. Until
>    the whole protocol is implemented, it would be easier
>    having a front end to new workstation creation,
>    password changing, etc., so that RPCs for user manager
>    for domains and others don't all have to be implemented
>    (plus you get to be able to admin from Unix/Mac/win3.1).

Something have already been started by andrew to manage smb.conf. I think
it can be extented to handle the rest.

> 5. Printing. As Luke pointed out, the whole of the spoolss
>    named pipe subsystem needs to be implemented. This is
>    quite a job. It would be nice to do so that printer
>    drivers can be downloaded to workstations as in 95's
>    PRINTER$ system (I'm assuming NT does this with RPCs).

Yes you're right Paul. I took a lot of \\spoolss trace this week-end and
the drivers are copied and setup this way. I'm not sure ALL the calls have
to be implemented at once. But as luke stated already there is a lot of
calls and they are not all well documented in netmon.

> 6. Other subsystems. MS netmon lists R_DRSUAPI, R_INTERNET,
>    R_LOGON, R_LSARPC, R_REMOTEAUTO, R_RXDS, R_SRVSVC,
>    R_WINSIF, R_WINSPOOL as MSRPC services. It would be
>    useful documenting to what extent each is known about,
>    what exports (dumpbin/exports, quickview) are in the
>    associated DLLs, etc.
>    www.ntinternals.com winobj and nthandleex give you
>    interesting info on which process is handling which
>    named pipe, i.e. winlogon has the winreg named pipe
>    open.

yes this is needed too because in the case of printing specially there is
some call to R_WINSPOOL to ckeck the printers

> 7. Tools. A description of the various tools that can be
>    used to examine NT and network traffic and lists of
>    resources with information. e.g. netmon, sourcer,
>    softice, www.ntinternals.com, msdn, nt resource kit.

Yes yes, with links to the ones freely availables !

> Anything else people would like to see?

YES : the support of NT ACL, Wins replication and LDAP support for NT5
(I'm already looking at it)

> Any comments?

I think some calls not implemented are badly missing like all the SMB NT
commands (NT Create&X, NT transact, ...)

> Any volunteers?

	me, That's one more :)

	Jean Francois.

: Jean Francois Micouleau       : Email: jfm at utc.fr       :
: Universite de                 : Tel  : 03 44 23 47 78   :
: Technologie de                :  Service Informatique   :
: Compiegne              France :     Division IRNM       :