Win NT workstation and Samba PDC

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Fri Feb 6 18:42:32 GMT 1998

santosh,

i took the liberty of cc'ing the reply to the samba ntdomain list, as
these are the kinds of questions that are going to be asked repeatedly.

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Santosh Krishnan x2815 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks a lot.  I got my PDC to work.  It looks like I wasn't doing
> anything wrong.  Is a DNS required for samba to work?  The first time, I
> tried the ntdom thing on a disconnected network, with no name server.
> That's when I asked you the dozen questions.  I finally gave up and went
> to my production machine and tried it out.  It works great.  Can you
> confirm my assumption?

ok, for you to answer this question yourself, try running 1.9.18p2 on the
"disconnected network" server.  i expect it to fail.  try asking on the
samba digest (not the samba-ntdom one) for help resolving this.

> On another note, now that I have users logging into my server via NT
> workstation, is there a smbgroups file or something that allows me to
> specify NT groups, or do I have to use the UNIX groups?

both, although it's pretty basic at the moment.  "domain groups" and
"domain admin users" and "domain guest users" are the current parameters.

>  Reason I ask is
> that I read that Server Manager for Domains can be used to view the users
> on the Samba server.  However, here's what it tells me:
>
> The tag is invalid ... do you want to select another domain to administer?

ah, this is because i've messed things up :-)  i have to deal with "large"

> At this point, I have logged in as myself, who has no admin rights.

there is no protection at the moment.  anyone can run this and obtain user
and server profile information.

luke