"Logon service not started" ?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Tue Dec 22 22:44:42 GMT 1998

I am trying to set up the latest cvs samba code. The domain servers are OSF1
sambas using encrypted passwords; clients are WinNT 4.0SP4 (german).

With some help (and the FAQ on NTDOM) I succeeded in joining the domain. On
startup I now get the three fields as described in section 2.4 of this FAQ.

When I give in a name/password pair I get on hold while watching a moving
Windows flag beside a message "Loging in progress" (my translation). After a
timeout it fails with a message like "Your logon service has not been
started". On the samba side I increased debug levels to infinity, but there is
no attempt recorded of a domain logon.
(domain logon = yes and workgroup = <My_domain_name>, same as the one used by
the WinNT client)

Switching the client to workgroup mode it works (no netlogon/profile roaming
of course).

Attached are my smb.conf files (two because one is standard for all
installations), in case someone looks at them and tells me what I am doing
wrong :(

Thanks, Axel.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de Axel.Thimm at ifh.de

=== smb.conf start
; Datei smb.conf (2.Versuch)
[global]
	print command = /usr/local/bin/lpr -r -b -P%p -U %M %s
	lpq command = /usr/local/bin/lpq -P%p
	dead time = 15
	workgroup = unix_cluster
	hosts allow = .physik.fu-berlin.de
	wins support = no
	preserve case = yes
	short preserve case = yes
	;wide links = no
	invalid users = root daemon bin uucp uucpa auth cron lp tcb adm ris wnn rdist
	include = /usr/samba2/lib/smb.conf.local
[homes]
	browseable = no
	read only = no
	create mode = 0640
	directory mask = 0750
[printers]
        path = /var/tmp
        writable = no
        public = yes
        printable = yes
[www]
	path = /www/%u
	readonly = no
	create mode = 0644
        directory mask = 0755
[scratch]
	path = /scratch
	readonly = no
        create mode = 0640
        directory mask = 0750
=== smb.conf end
=== smb.conf.local start
#hosts allow =
#debuglevel = 90
debuglevel = 20

domain master = yes
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 65

wins support = yes
#wins server = axp1

printcap name = /etc/printcap
printing = bsd

security = user
#security = share

domain logons = yes
logon drive = Z:
logon home = \\%N\%U
logon path = \\%N\%U\profile
#logon script = scripts/%U.bat ### only for netlogons
#logon script = login.bat

#nis homedir = true
#homedir map = smb.home

encrypt passwords = yes
#null passwords = yes
#passwd chat debug = yes

workgroup = hamprecht_linke
preserve case = yes
short preserve case = yes

[netlogon]
path = /etc/netlogon
writable = no
guest ok = no
#browsable = no
#writeable = no
#public = no
#locking = no
#share modes = no

[SekrLi]
path = /home/blecke/Sekretariat/Linke
browsable = no
writable = yes
force user = blecke
valid users = linke

[SekrHa]
path = /home/blecke/Sekretariat/Hamprecht
browsable = no
writable = yes
force user = blecke
valid users = hamprech

[SekrHaLi]
path = /home/blecke/Sekretariat/Gesch„ftsfhrung
browsable = no
writable = yes
force user = blecke
valid users = hamprech linke