domain users map?

Jean Francois Micouleau Jean-Francois.Micouleau at dalalu.fr
Tue Dec 22 16:02:35 GMT 1998

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a domain set up and working quite nicely now, but I need to
> give a couple of users admin rights (mostly so that they can write
> files on their local disks, share printers, etc).
>
> The NTDOM FAQ says that the domain admin users option is no longer
> used, but doesn't yet document the new way.

If you're running samba 2.0 Beta x, the domain admin users is still the
way to go.

If you're running the head cvs branch, it's another story.

To sum up in when the samba server is a PDC:
smb.conf:

        domain user map = /usr/local/samba/lib/domainuser.map
        domain group map = /usr/local/samba/lib/domaingroup.map

domainuser.map contains the mapping between the NT users and their
equivalent on Unix:

[root at doubleface lib]# cat domainuser.map
root    administrator

     ^^^-> a tab or an '=' sign should work.

domaingroup.map contains the mapping between the NT domain groups and the
Unix groups

[root at doubleface lib]# cat domaingroup.map
wheel    "Domain Admins"

     ^^^-> a tab or an '=' sign should work.

'wheel' must be in /etc/group. All the Unix users who are in the 'wheel'
unix group will be domain admins on the NT side.

	J.F.