alert: primary groups must be domain groups

John Burchett johnb at ee.duke.edu
Fri Dec 11 18:50:34 GMT 1998

luke,

my etc/passwd file is simple, and the user I'm using the most
(Administrator) and my other one (johnb) have 'root' and 'grad' as their
primary groups, so no problems there. I do use NIS though, so maybe that's
it? Still infinite looping! Also, something of interest. In the minute
after I double click on a profile to get it's properties, the NT machine
sits with an hourglass. Meanwhile, my samba server burns ~99% cpu, but
little memory is used (i.e. notmal amount). However AFTER the NT machine
returns 'RPC failed, then (and only at that point) samba grabs like
80MB of memory.

Also an interesting point, SMBD runs 2 or 3 copies of itself. curiously,
only one of these hogs the cpu and memory. when I kill that one, the
others stay, but my cpu and memory are back to normal.

3rd point, when I use User Manager, it first comes up with the message 'A
device attached to this system is not functioning' 'Would you like to
select another domain...?'. I click Yes, and then type in my domain name,
and it works as it should. dunno, just an annoyance bug.

Final problem, some reason it STILL tells me
  trust account phb$ should be in DOMAIN_GROUP_RID_USERS

What should my mapping be and in which (domain or local) to get this to
work? I have tried saying
    users=Users
    users=DSL\Users        (dsl is my domain)

also, I have a unix group 'users' and phb$ is in it. Is there any
requirement on what the GID of this group should be? Also, what is
RID (NT thing?) and what's the deal here?

thanx a ton,
-john

where phb (pointy-haired boss, lol) is the nt machine that is my client.