listing of daemons running on a unix server

Kendrick Vargas ken at hudat.com
Thu Dec 10 16:42:40 GMT 1998

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Gerald Carter wrote:

> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > so, the basic impression is that all systems are
> > different.  would forcing people to reference a list of
> > scripts that have "start|stop|restart" and optionally
> > "status" be acceptable, taking the cue from redhat?
>
> I'm not sure this will pan out.  Looking down the road, how will
> you map the disabled/manual/automatic service properties or
> the "run service as this account"?
>
> I would stay away from service management.  At least not
> now.  Service are totally disrelated from file sharing.
> Let Samba do what it does and not attempt to emulate
> the **entire** NT operating system.  Given that such
> {start|stop} scripts already exist, all it takes is an
> SSH shell open on the Samba server to manage these.

Agreed. This is something that should be handled by the various desktop
packages that are out there. Most of the desktop projects out there are
focusing on the end user and not general administration. The fOX Project
is more geared towards stuff like administration, etc, but it is still
very young. It's based on Xclass (win32 looking widgets, etc) and can be
found at foxproject.org ... so if you really want to do that kinda
programming, then check at that site.

Also, I'd like to point out that depending on which OS's you just between,
the start/stop scripts can handle any number of different combined things.
For example, on SGI's (IRIX) ... all of the network related things are in
*1* script called "network" ... Therefore, to start/stop autofs, you'd
have to login locally and stop/start the "network" ... The only way to
build a tool to properly manage all of this stuff is to have something
similar to locales, where each OS has a different way of doing things, and
your app knows about each and every one of them.

There is however one positive note... Almost all of the scripts reside in
a $PATH that has /etc and /init.d/ in it :-)
			-peace