DOMAIN.MACHINE.mac

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Thu Dec 10 15:49:16 GMT 1998

Mick Haigh wrote:

> Ok - I know someone else has asked this before - but what on earth is
> the format of the file DOMAIN.MACHINE.mac?????
>
> I gather it contains the trust account password for a machine, but how
> does one create it?  This doesn't _seem_ to be documented anywhere.

The file gets created when your samba box joins a domain.
See the Samba NTDOM FAQ, Q6.1.  The file format is simply
the ASCII printout of the NT machione password hash if
I remember correctly.

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )