Access Controls for Swat ?

Ken Stone ken at sdd.hp.com
Thu Dec 10 01:23:33 GMT 1998

> > Ok, so there is no way to select which users can access it ?  It would
> > appear that anyone with an account/password on the samba/swat server can
> > access swat ?
>
> one method is to use the unix permissions on smb.conf to deny them
> access. If they can't read smb.conf then they can't do much in SWAT.

Nope ... just tried it ... mode 700, owner root.  Logged into Swat
as normal user and can see everything.  Swat is running as root out
of inetd and doesn't appear to switch users to whomever logs in.

> maybe we should also make SWAT obey the global "valid users" and
> "invalid users" options? Jeremy, what do you think?

What I was looking for is a way to restrict swat to admins on a
large samba server ... don't see how global valid users would
do much though I guess it should pay attention to that for the
small cases where valis users is used ?

  -- Ken