listing of daemons running on a unix server

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Wed Dec 9 23:57:06 GMT 1998

> I think it would be nice if (maybe this was already what you were thinking
> of) ythe service manager did a lookthrough of the rc.d/init.d, etc
> directories and prebuild a daemon list file, and then let the user tweak any
> entries that need changing on a system-to-system basis. Since *most*
> important services have a nicely-behaved rc.d script, this would reduce the
> user-typing load to a minimum. btw, I use redhat 5.2.

no, don't do this.

I think a fair number of sysadmins will be like me and will hate the
idea of a remote NT box being able to control services on my box. I
certainly don't want Samba squirreling through my startup scripts
looking for things to screw up.

If a admin wants this they can use:

cd /etc/rc.d/init.d
ls | awk '{print $1" "/etc/rc.d/init.d/$1}' > /etc/services.conf