listing of daemons running on a unix server

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed Dec 9 21:10:58 GMT 1998

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> so, the basic impression is that all systems are
> different.  would forcing people to reference a list of
> scripts that have "start|stop|restart" and optionally
> "status" be acceptable, taking the cue from redhat?

I'm not sure this will pan out.  Looking down the road, how will
you map the disabled/manual/automatic service properties or
the "run service as this account"?

I would stay away from service management.  At least not
now.  Service are totally disrelated from file sharing.
Let Samba do what it does and not attempt to emulate
the **entire** NT operating system.  Given that such
{start|stop} scripts already exist, all it takes is an
SSH shell open on the Samba server to manage these.

Just some thoughts,
jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )