listing of daemons running on a unix server

Greg Dickie greg at discreet.com
Wed Dec 9 21:02:05 GMT 1998

Maybe I'm missing something but most of these scripts simply start the programs
or do a killall to stop them. Could you not simply get a process list from
/proc and "do the right thing" ?

'course that UNIX wpuld need procfs and you wouldn't have all the options to
start... nevermind...

How do I get on samba-technical? ;-)

Greg

On 09-Dec-98 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> so, the basic impression is that all systems are different.  would forcing
> people to reference a list of scripts that have "start|stop|restart" and
> optionally "status" be acceptable, taking the cue from redhat?
>
> daemon list file = /usr/local/samba/daemons:
> http  /etc/rc.d/rc.init/rc.httpd
> ...   ...
>
> yes, it would be a pain: i'd have to modify my slackware start-up by
> obtaining some scripts from somewhere which accepted "start|stop|restart".

Greg Dickie
Just A Guy*
*from discreet logic
Montreal