Strange HP3000 and HPUX 10.x problems connecting to NT4 member server

Kevin S.D. kevinsd at cfnnet.com
Sat Dec 5 01:52:01 GMT 1998

Here goes:

How the heck can you get a Samba server to access NT4 (SP3) shares on an NT
member server (ie. non-PDC/BDC)???  This setup works fine when accessing
shares on an NT PDC or BDC, presumably because they have the ability to do
password authentication.  As soon as I try, I always get the following
error:

$ smbclient -L xcellenetfsrv -n cfnauth -U myuser%mypass -d 10

This was the tail end of the return error:

got smb length of 35
size=35
smb_com=0x73
smb_rcls=1
smb_reh=0
smb_err=5
smb_flg=136
smb_flg2=1
smb_tid=0
smb_pid=6930
smb_uid=24
smb_mid=7030
smt_wct=0
smb_bcc=0
Session setup failed for username=myuser myname=CFNAUTH
destname=XCELLENETFSRV
ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
You might find the -U, -W or -n options useful
Sometimes you have to use `-n USERNAME' (particularly with OS/2)
Some servers also insist on uppercase-only passwords
$

I have the follwoing two versions of Samba running on HPUX and HP/iX:
hpux: Version 1.9.18p4
mpe: Version 1.9.16p9
Both return a similar error "ERRnoaccess"

I somehow believe that these problems stem from the fact that the machines
aren't members of the NT domain, but for the life of me, I can't get them to
add properly.

HELP!!!

Thanks...
Kevin