USRMGR.EXE and SAMBA (main branch NOT SAMBA_2_0)

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Thu Dec 3 13:16:55 GMT 1998

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> other issues: NT groups can own files.  why?  because a SID is
> a SID.
>
> this implies that if we want the same functionality in
> Samba that a unix userid needs to be created with the same
> name as a unix group, with no unix shell or password.
> then this "user", which will represent an NT group, will be
> able to own a file / directory.

Luke,

Since Unix has group ownership, why couldn't you use it and the
group permission bits for this?  Why need to create a bogus
user?

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )