(no)logon when PDC down

John Harper harper at banks.scar.utoronto.ca
Mon Aug 24 16:23:52 GMT 1998

When a recent CVS version of the pre-alpha code failed to work as a PDC
I found to my surprise that my domain logon proceeded anyway. The
client kindly told me it couldn't find a PDC, and used a local profile
instead. While I'm sure this is very helpful, the whole point of
authenticating (for me) is to ensure only authorized users get access
to the machines, and that logs are kept of those who do logon.
If you really want to play games, all you have to do is pull out the
network cable, logon unauthenticated, plug it back and away you go...

I've checked around, and I can't seem to discover if there is a
registry hack to disable this "feature". Does anyone know how to
disable domain logins when the PDC is down?

Thanks

John Harper
Academic Computing Coordinator
University of Toronto at Scarborough