NT4.0 PDC and Samba help

Christoph Doerbeck doerbeck at dma.isg.mot.com
Tue Aug 18 15:43:10 GMT 1998

I read that someone stated that you NEED local accounts in /etc/passwd.
I don't believe this to be the case.  In fact, I thought that if you
were to create a "username map" with an entry like "safeshare = *"
then all NTDOM connections authenticated through the NT server
would work, and have local userid "safeshare" on the samba server.

This would imply you need one entry in /etc/passwd for a unique
share userid.  I suppose you could use something like "nobody" or
"bin" if you wanted to avoid creating special userids.

Am I way off on this?  Or does this sound like a solution to the
stated problem?